Roadmap for DLP using DTH
From ATI Chennai IT and ITES Wiki
Distance Learning Programme (DLP)
Roadmap to Reach-out all corner of the country
- MSDE e-LEARNING Central Server located at ATI Chennai using Distance Learning Programme (DLP) to connect
- 10 Hubs (transmitting station at 10 CFI’s-ATI's)
- 193 spokes (receiving station at Govt ITI's) across the country for Trainers Training
- Vision - Capacity Building Platform for ITI Training
- Rapid Capacity Building for Skills
- Reach every corner of the Country
- Multi-Lingual Support
- Distance Training Program using internet, webcast, Smart Phones and DTH/Satellite
- National Platform at ATI, Local Platform at ITI
- Learner Empowerment: Content, Interaction
- Decision Makers Dashboard Information
- Currently, the Govt of India's Ministry of Skill Development And Entrepreneurship (MSDE) is using the A-VIEW platform, developed by Amrita University, for distance learning
- Several pilot programs have been conducted
- Using Distance Learning Programme (DLP), lakhs of learners can be trained all over the country
- Directorate General of Training (DGT) has an objective of achieving minimum 200 days/year utilization for the DLP
- DLP should have both common national and regional content using the 10 hubs and their extensions across all districts in the country
- An annual training schedule is be published in advance
- All the e-content/e-learning material should be readily available for anytime access by trainees/trainers preferable in a multi-modal manner (disparate devices).
- Currently, the Internet delivers media content for DLP
- It is envisaged to additionally use the DTH service facility to deliver the media content.
- DTH can be activated with the support of ISRO, exclusively for the skill ministry to reach out to the rural areas
- Launch of 24X7 “SKILL INDIA TV” for developing scientific attitude of the students under TVET and empowering the conventional technicians.
- A mobile app is to be made for trainees to access e-content on smart phones.
- Use Amrita E-learning content platform to engender learning spirit of ITI Trainees.
Additionally DLP can also be used for
- Model Demos and Best Practical Performances can be shown or broadcasted.
- Provision of online Classes and pre-recorded conversation for development of Language Communication Ability & Soft Skills can be arranged for Trainees as well as Instructional Staff of ITI's
- DLP Technology can be utilized to show the live working of various industries.
- Placement Announcement / Employment Portal for ITI Trainees.
- Carrier Guidance Announcement for School Passout
- Publicity about DGT activities
- Advertisement of MSDE Initiatives
In order to achieve the above set of objectives, certain preparatory steps need to be taken.
- Programme Plan
- Identification of teachers/ experts for actual teaching
- Identification of DLP topics
- Multi-Lingual for regional delivery
DLP transmission over Internet, webcasting, DTH and Mobile apps
- Presently, the Internet is used for DLP transmission to those spokes centers which have interactive capability during question/answer session
- Additionally, to reach out to more people, especially those accessing through laptop/PC from their workplace itself, DGT National Server at ATI, Chennai has already been configured with non-interactive web casting feature also (listening mode)
- When required it can be reconfigured as interactive through chat mode
- Amrita e-learning Lab provides complete support on all configuration issues
DTH service exclusively for Skill Ministry
- Direct To Home telecast (DTH) will provide a new depth to distance learning and promises to integrate the disparate areas of our vast country into a seamlessly merged community of learners
- This breaks down the barriers of learning, as even the remotest ITI in the village will be able to use the facility at affordable rates (one TV and Set top box) where high speed internet facility is still out of reach
- e-Learning content/video on demand is possible
- Even though it may be uni-directional (unicast), interactivity can be managed through SMS/PHONE or Microsoft NetMeeting / H323 / SIP Phone through internet / Wide Area LAN.
- Already IIT, Madras has adopted this technology with the support of ISRO. Hence, it has been suggested that Skill Ministry may approach ISRO to leverage this DTH facility
- Amrita e-Learning Research Team provides Support and technical guidance in this regard
DLP and e-Learning Content Management access via Mobile Apps for ITI Trainees
- Mobile devices offer not just convenience and flexibility, but potentially a new way of studying.
- Equipped with cameras, video and sound recorders, and GPS, they enable students to become creators as well as users of information.
- The potential for using mobile technologies to transform the experience of distance learning is huge.
- Distance-learning providers already use virtual learning environments (VLEs) to enable students to
- Read documents online
- Contact tutors
- Submit coursework, and/or
- Engage in discussions with other students (peer group)
- The increasing popularity of smartphones, iPads and Kindles means that educational institutions are now responding to student demand to access learning resources from their mobile devices
- Amrita E-Learning Lab has already developed a mobile app for DLP on the Android platform and lot of e-Learning content in different sectors like 3D simulation of equipment/machinery are already easily accessible through it
- Skill Ministry can make use of Amrita E-Learning Research Lab’s vast expertise in this field to develop a mobile app exclusively, among others, to access the
- recorded lectures
- e-Learning content
- training schedule
- course material
- video animation of course material
- self-test and evaluation
- This will be ideal for trainees who want to study just about when convenient like during
- lunch breaks
- free time at work
- while traveling
Contact Details of ISRO
Shri. Y.V.N Krishna Moorthy
ISRO Head Quarters
Phone : 080 - 22172348
Referred by Shri Sugesh, Head, HRDD, VSSC, Trivandram Mob: 94960 20054 Source : RDAT, Chennai)
Obtain ISRO's EduSAT Satellite Bandwidth for DTH and Internet
- Basically, Prasar Bharati is the main agency for distributing DTH to private players and government usage.Prasarbharati
- For private companies to provide DTH to consumers, these are the guidelines for obtaining license for providing DTH broadcasting service in India.Agreement Form
- TRAI sets the policies and recommendations for DTH for private players and Goverment usage. The following response letter outlines policy for usage of DTH by Central Govt. Ministries for national programs like education and training.
- For setting up a large DTH capability, one can follow the process of procuring bandwidth and channels with the Department of Space.
- One needs to deliberate on setting up a Earth Station versus following the process to hire a Teleport.
- Mr. H. Rayappa Deputy Director, Satcom Application, ISRO Head Quarter’s, Bangalore
- Skill Ministry can create a project to hire a Teleport to uplink x number of DTH Channels for the Skill Ministry. This can be done with TCIL,Telecommunications Consultants India Limited (A Government of India Enterprise). http://www.tcil-india.com/new/
Cost of DTH facility provisioning at HUB and Spokes
- Transmission Hub setup cost for DTH hardware would be around 50 lakh. The same transmitting hub can be used to connect several teaching centers/studios using high-speed internet or VPN
- Receiving node should have setup box, TV, power UPS, speakers, mixer, etc. which would come to around 1 lakh depending on setup.
- Typical price is about 30 lakh for 1 DTH channel.
Equipment and facility required
Amrita Quality Enhancement in Engineering Education (QEEE) Channel Details (DTH)
- Good links to understand broadcast and receiving, hub and spokes. Scat Magazine
Amrita University Technical Support
- Discussion had with Prof Kamal Bijilani, Director, Amrita E-Learning Lab, Kollam Mob: 08129459900 on 29/3/2016, the following technical support can be provided by Amrita University
- Amrita can build the national architecture consisting of DTH, Internet, Local Wifi to enable local mobile learners in every remote place in India.
- Local learners will get Skill content and updates on their mobiles regularly and can train at local centers without any internet facility.
- Teachers from the teaching studio will send the live lecture via the transmission hub and also transmit via A-VIEW.
- Everyone can receive DTH based lectures, and A-VIEW users can interact live more easily.
- Questions can also be taken via mobile app text messages with phone connection (without internet).
- Amrita has already implemented DTH along with A-VIEW for the QEEE (quality enhancement in engineering education), project under the HRD Ministry.
- From various IITs, the teaching node consists of the A-VIEW and the connected nodes via A-VIEW interaction facilities.
- The A-VIEW live lecture is also transmitted to the DTH transponder and is then available for reception anywhere in India.
- Amrita can create an architecture which will integrate DTH, A-VIEW, and the local Wifi server capability of every ITI in India.
- This will done irrespective of whether an ITI has internet or not.
- An ITI will maintain a local server which will allow local people to copy Skill Training content to their mobiles from the local ITI server.
- In this way, skill content and learning can occur any place, any time, and will be available in every remote place in India.
- Local servers with content and Wi-Fi Router will allow to download content to cheap mobile devices without internet.
To be done
Arrange meeting with Amrita University for technical support and implementation
- Amrita University already submitted a proposal on National ITI Blended Training System already submitted to MSDE Project Proposal
- Our Hon'ble Minister, MSDE during his visit to chennai on 9 Feb 2016 also expressed his interest to see the presentation of Amrita University and also suggested to collaborate with Amrita University on DLP/E-Learning.
- Shri Dinesh Nijawan, Director/CFI Incharge for DLP already taken all-out efforts and on the track, may arrange a presentation/meeting of Prof. Kamal Bijilani of Amrita University at New Delhi by fixing an appointment with JS/DG in the first week of April 2016.
NIMI, Chennai will formulate the e-Learning content, schedule of topics and other operational support.
Preparation of Annual Training Calendar for all the CFI HUB centre
Identification of Area/Topics and Expert Panel List across the country.
- To reach out the DLP across the country, Possible initial outsourcing for the infrastructure facilities (the DTH channel and the transmission facility can be availed on rental basis) for at least one year while we spec out our own infrastructure system and be ready to done the responsibilities envisaged.