Online Examination System
From ATI Chennai IT and ITES Wiki
- Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE)
- Directorate General of Training (DGT)
- Trade Testing Cell (TTC)
The conduct of examinations for ITI students in particular and for evaluation of participants under various programs and schemes of the above Govt of India entities is currently done using a combination of manual processes and Optical Mark Recognition (OMR) sheets. We list the current status and chart a roadmap for a fully automated online examination system to replace the current means to the extent possible.
Trade Testing Cell
The main objective of the TTC is to conduct All India Trade Test (AITT) for all schemes under National Council for Vocational Training (NCVT) except exams for Modular Employable Scheme (MES) and to award certificates to the successful candidates.
- All India Trade Test (AITT):
|AITT for||Type||Exams per Year||Exam Months||Question Papers per Year|
|Craftsmen||Craftsmen Training Scheme (CTS) - Conventional, Semester System and Restructured Pattern||2 + 2 + 2||Jan/Feb|
|1764 + 590 + 104|
|Craftsmen||Centre of Excellence (COE)||2|| Feb|
|Apprentices||Apprenticeship Training Scheme (ATS)||2|| Apr|
|Craftsmen||Flexi MOU Scheme|
|Craft Instructor||Craft Instructor Training Scheme (CITS) Modular / Semester Plan||2|| Jan|
|All India Skill Competition of Craftsman (AISCC)||1||May||47|
|All India Competition of Apprentices (AICA)||2|| Apr|
|Regional Competition of Apprentices (RCA)||2|| Mar|
|Various||Any||as needed due to natural calamities / social unrest|
- Total exams atleast conducted each year: 17
- Total Question Papers atleast prepared each year: 4877
- Issuance of certificates for all schemes and e-Certificates with mark-sheet to the trainees of ITIs through NCVT-MIS portal.
- Dealing with Court cases, RTIs, Grievances, VIP references, etc., related to examinations and certifications.
- AITT is conducted by NCVT for Trainees admitted in affiliated (Govt and Private) ITIs and completed the prescribed period of training for the award of the National Trade Certificate (NTC).
- Conventional pattern AITT was conducted upto July 2013 with subjective type of question papers for theory subjects.
- Semester system for CTS was introduced from Aug 2013 with OMR based examination with negative marking.
Exam Schedule 2016
|AITT for Craftsmen|| 21-01-2016 to 22-02-2016|
20-07-2016 to 11-08-2016
|AITT for Apprentices|| 26-04-2016 to 30-04-2016|
24-14-2016 to 28-10-2016 (Tentative)
|AITT for CITS|| 27-01-2016 to 03-02-2016 (Semester & Modular)|
19-07-2016 to 29-07-2016
|AITT for Craftsmen COE|| 01-03-2016 to 10-03-2016|
22-08-2016 to 31-08-2016
|AISCC||10-05-2016 to 14-05-2016|
|AICA|| 24-05-2016 to 28-05-2016|
21-11-2016 to 25-11-2016 (Tentative)
|RCA|| 29-03-2016 to 02-04-2016|
20-09-2016 to 23-09-2016 (Tentative)
AITT Exam Modes
- CTS Semester System
|1||Theory & Employability Skills||OMR|
|2||Workshop Calculation & Science and Engineering Drawing||OMR (Sem 1)|
|Sem 2,3,4||Workshop Calculation & Science||OMR|
|Trade Practical||Conducted at ITIs|
- Evaluation of OMR based subjects by DGT
- Practical & Engineering Drawing Sem 2,3,4 done by respective State Directorates / Union Territories (UT)
- For other schemes AITT are conducted and the evaluation is done by respective State Directorate / Apprenticeship Directorate / Field Institutes of DGT
- Flexi-MoU under CTS Scheme: Question papers are prepared by TTC as and when required.
OMR vs Conventional Subjective Exams
Semester OMR Advantages
- Students can appear twice a year as opposed to just once in the conventional system
- Exam portions cover just six months, hence, no stress and anxiety
- Theory papers are objective type and can easily mark on the OMR
- Standardised evaluation for whole country due to OMR
- Assessment accuracy and reliability is better
- Improved and expedited the Trade Test process and quickened results declaration
- Exams every 6 months needs 1 month for conducting it, hence less time available for academic inputs
- Trainees need to face exams every 6 months causes difficulty to many of them
- Negative marking is not liked by the Trainees and the ITIs associations
- A committee has proposed Annual exams in the Semester system
- At least 2 sets of Question papers to be prepared for popular trades like Electrician, Fitter, Welder, etc.,.
|Director of Training (DT)||1|
|Joint Director of Training (JDT)||1 (Vacant)|
|Deputy Director of Training (DDT)||1|
|Assistant Director of Training (ADT)||1|
|Junior Technical Assistant (JTA)||2|
|Upper Division Clerk (UDC)||2|
|PA to Director & Joint Director||2|
- Regular Staff: 21
- Daily Wages Staff: 15
- Total: 36
Roles and Activities
The Secretary, NCVT
- Fixes AITT Commencement Date
- Intimates State Directorates / UTs (SD/UTs) at least 2 months in advance
TTC Collects Indents from SD/UTs
- Having details of Exam Centres
- No. of Trainees Trade-wise, Centre-wise
TTC Prepares question papers in 126 trades
- With assistance paper setters
- Moderated by Trade Experts from Engg Colleges / Polytechnics / Industries
- Provides translations as well
- Hands over Question Papers to Printing Press
- Translation, Printing, Packaging as per indents from SD/UTs
- Distribution by SpeedPost / PSUs / Banks
- Issue Hall Tickets to all registered and eligible trainees as per NCVT criteria
- Do it through NCVT-MIS portal
- Set up Exam Centres for Practical and Theory Exams
- Appoint / Depute External Examiner for Practical and Invigilators for Theory exams
- Supply OMR / Answer Booklets from DGT to Trainees
- Supply Drawing Sheets from local agency to Trainees
- Exam Centre Chairmen collect Question Papers from banks on Exam date and distribute to Trainees
- Collect OMR Answer Sheets and forward to Evaluating Agency selected by DGT
- Evaluate Practical and Drawing Answer Sheets
- After evaluation, the Evaluating Agency provides results to TTC who upload to NCVT-MIS portal
- Upload results of Practical and Drawing to NCVT-MIS portal
- Upload and update Student and Institution data in NCVT-MIS Portal
- Upload Sessional Marks into the NCVT-MIS portal
- Link to generate Hall Ticket
- Grace marks for Theory papers are added automatically
- Declare Final Result after all data have been updated / uploaded
- Generate e-MarkSheet and e-NTC
- Figures from 2014 till date for each fiscal overshoot Budgeted Expenditure by around 150%
- For 2014, 2015, 2016 (extrapolated) the expense in crores of Rupees are 28, 34, 50 respectively.
- This serves around 23 Lakh students twice a year, ie., about Rs. 220/- per student per year in 2016.
- 9.15 Lakh e-Certificates issued hitherto through the portal saving Rs. 4.6 Crore.
- Question papers are provided in English and Hindi and some regional languages.
- Official Hindi Translator at TTC is assisted by those from the various SD/UTs.
Online Exams page illustrates the salient features of any online endeavour.